December 12, 2010

Review: Last Sacrifice

Title: Last Sacrifice
Author: Richelle Mead
Pages: 594
Hardcover, Penguin Group

Goodreads summary:
Rose Hathaway has always played by her own rules.
She broke the law when she ran away from St. Vladimir’s Academy with her best friend and last surviving Dragomir Princess, Lissa. She broke the law when she fell in love with her gorgeous, off-limits instructor, Dimitri. And she dared to defy Queen Tatiana, leader of the Moroi world, risking her life and reputation to protect generations of dhampir guardian to come.

Now the law has finally caught up with Rose- for a crime she didn’t even commit. She’s in prison for the highest offense imaginable: the assassination of a monarch. She’ll need help from both Dimitri and Adrian to find the one living person who can stall her execution and force the Moroi elite to acknowledge a shocking new candidate for the royal throne: Vasilisa Dragomir.

But the clock on Rose’s life is running out. Rose knows in her heart the world of the dead wants her back… and this time she is truly out of second chances. The big question is, when your life is about saving others, who will save you?

My review:

**spoiler alert**
It was exactly what I had expected of the Last Book and sometimes even more.

First of all, did anyone else see that big plan to blow things up coming? I mean, yes, Rose is in jail, but I never thought that the group would destroy precious statues to acheive the goal. Yet they did.

I'm glad that Sydney was brought back, and that she played a bigger part and we got to know her better. I'm glad we got to see many more characters.

What I did not like, personally, was how the ending happened. It's great! I mean, there are enough secrets still left in the unanswered for Richelle Mead to continue her spin-off series. I just don't like how I must wait so much more to find out the answers to what happens!

At times I wish Rose would have matured a little more after what had happened. I know she's only 18, but she's gone through so many more things that a normal 18 year old does. Some how, I would have thought it would have made her...humble? But no, and Adrian tells her so. She doesn't really care what happens to others as long as she get what she wants. I mean, look at Eddie, Jill and Sydney. They're exactly in the situations Adrian said they were.

And the way that she used Adrian! We all knew all along that she loved Dimitri, and that she always would. She knew it too, but she kept strining Adrian along, making herself believe that she did love him. I think she did, in a diffrent way, but in the end she seemed to see the benefit in having him around more. Like as a messanger, to get her ideas implamented where she wasn't. For money in her trip to Russia. Basically, he was meant to replace Dimitri until her Dimka fully returned. She at least owed him as much as waiting to tell him they were through before cheating on him with Dimitri!

The only sane one is Christian. He knew what had to be done and he worked for it, while trying to watch out for other people's toes. He was there for Lisa, rallying her up, keeping her safe, loving her. He did everything Rose is supposed to do, without hurting anyone like she did. Now, she doesn't even have the bond over him.

The bond thing, did that bother anyone else? I mean, she died, shadow-kissed, almost died and that made her un-shadow kissed? I feel like that was too easy. The bond was the one thing that made her such a great guardian to Lisa too. Now she's just normal, she doesn't have that sixth-sense that connects her to Lisa anymore. She not going to feel the danger, which is much more improtant now than before since Lisa is now the Queen.

I saw that coming, Lisa becoming Queen. I was really happy with it too. She knew how to handle the politics of the Moroi and the Dhampir. I am afraid for Jill though, Lisa doesn't seem to keen about her.

I love this book because it was unpredicatable, with new twists and turns that kept me reading, and also predicatable enough that I had to keep reading to make sure I was right. That's the thing with Richelle's Vampire Academy series, you think you've solved it, and she just throws in another person, another clue.

What I didn't see coming was the Tasha thing. I mean wow! Can you say twist? I mean, yeah, I could see Daniella doing somehting like that through out the book, but it isn't until you stopped and looked at everything before you that you went no way, it can't be her.

Now I can't wait to see how this story continues. 4/5 stars
-A

No comments:

Post a Comment